Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Active Reading

Many of the strategies you employ (or should employ) in listening,  you can also employ in reading.   Good reading is active reading that engages the brain,not just the eyes.



Here are some useful tips for active critical reading from Harvard Library  
Banner 

A key strategy is called 'annotation', which can be done with a pencil or pen, or even digitally on tablet computers or smartphones.      As the Harvard Library tips note,  and I agree,  throw away your highlighter.
Remember that reading is a dialogue between you the reader and the writer of the text.    I will show you in Thursday's class how I annotate and therefore how I recommend you annotate when you read.

Watch for more information about reading in this post or other blog posts and in a forthcoming page on the course website (or my website).

No comments:

Post a Comment